Thursday, February 26, 2009

Anniversary Meeting - 24 Feb 2009

We were honoured by the Division Governor for giving us a 5 Star rating for our Anniversary Meeting. This too has been echoed by members from other Clubs. Personally, I agree with them. We have 1 Star for Hospitality, 1 Star for Punctuality, 1 Star of Quality Program, 1 Star for Great Role Players and 1 Star for Food. Sometimes I like to give 2 Stars for our food, especially for this meeting as Khung brought his Bananas and this time he even brought some Nyonya Kuih, whilst Anna brought a Layer cake. The food we had was great and to my surprise they even have Bread Pudding for dessert; my favourite.

President did the usual thingy and pass it to Larry who as usual, slow and steady set the meeting atmosphere to warm. Pyng our Table Topics Master or Mistress, chose a controversial topic, Men and Women and really got the speakers excited and the audience tickled. The Speakers were Masdiana, Low Yat Seow, S K Leong, Anna, Adam Fung, Willy Tan and Philip Wong. The winner goes to our visiting TM from Speecom Mr S K Leong - no relation to our President. Dr Choong from Taman Indrahana TM Club gave a kind Evaluation of the speakers.

Oh yes, Puan Khadijah was also present and we cut the Anniversary Cake - the Presidents (Past and Present) together with her. Later she gave a short speech congratulating the club and wishing the club better success.

After dinner we had 'Prepared' Speeches from Past Presidents of our Club. Masdiana starts with her 17 Years of Pain and Pleasure, Anna with her Addiction (to Toastmaster), Mike with the Networking thingy and Mohamad on the Tools for Success - that is communication skills. Finally, the main speaker was PDG Low Yat Seow who spoke on the Fun and Frustrations of a District Officer. This man has been a TM for over 15 years and I saw the tremendous improvement in him that night. He as humour and he has substance with great delivery. I am proud of him and truly appreciate that he took the time to prepare and come to the meeting - inspite of having another commitment elsewhere.

Besides those named, I must also add that we had Levine as the Timer, Chin as Grammarian, Mano as Aah Counter and Ho as ASAA. Ho really surprised me when he start the meeting with his remarks which sound something like this, "With the Power in me I will now call the meeting to order." Even after almost 30 years in TM I have never seen an ASAA speaking so commandingly like this. PP Philip did the closing and IPP Sherine sitting pretty and doing back room work.

After the meeting the President calls all the members together and told us the news about Monsieur who was re-admitted to Hospital for the blockage again. We have to pray harder guys.

We had 15 members present and 15 guests - a big crowd no doubt but the food is more than enough to feed 40 pax. I saw Jerine our 2nd time guest who had decided to join us and Salmah, Willy's guest who would consider after the next meeting. The Guests that I remembered but not mentioned above were Mrs Choong from Taman Indrahana, Miss Toh (Larry Sister) and some others that I just could not recall. Please forgive me.

Whilst writing this I got a call from a friend Leanne Yeoh a former member of our Club. I was surprised that she called as I was expecting her at the meeting but strangely she thought it is today and she was disappointed to find no one at the meeting. I am sorry Leanne for the confusion and I hope you will come back again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Mohamad for the detailed report of the Anniversary meeting. It was indeed a good one and I believe everyone enjoyed themselves.

Thanks Leong for the honour and privilege you gave me in hosting this memorable meeting.

Happy 17th Anniversary MII Toastmasters Club! ;)

Sherine Lim said...

Mohamad, to my memory, I remembered we have a charming guy who has been with Toastmasters for 10 years, Mr Gerald from Mid Valley TM Club and a young gentleman from HP Toastmasters Club, who sat next to Larry's sister.

For the star rating of our club, I would said that we are in fact more than 5-star standard, we are 7-star, 1 more star goes to all the smart & pretty looking MII TMC members and another star goes to our professional printed materials. Ha !!! Don't you agree with me ?

Mr Founder, thanks for keeping up the good work in writing the report for those who absent at the meeting. Bravo !

Mohamad Abdullah, DTM said...

Thank you Larry and Thank you Sherine for your valuable and encouraging comments.

Pyng said...

Hmmm, after receiving 2 email messages in 2 days re: MII blog, I guess I am prompted to write something.

For one who hasn't been visiting any other club (other than my own Premier Adv), I ended up at MII 2 meetings in a row! I have broken my own rule...Not once, but twice in a single month!!!

If I were to describe MII TMC with just one word, it would have to be 'SINCERITY'- the same word that brought me to Toastmasters 12 years back.

Thank you for making me still feel 'at home' at MII. Although I won't be rejoining the club in the near future, I would like to think that, if I need a place to hang out on 2nd and 4th Tuesday evenings, I can knock at your door.

Pyng said...

Oh dear...How did 'Passion Road' surface? It was a blog I set up in 2007 - it was meant for me to write random thoughts, and meant for my own reading pleasure...And now it's been made PUBLIC!

Guess it's okay; and maybe it's time for me to scribble some lines and share my thoughts once again.

Pyng@Passion Road