Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Area Contest

MII TM Club became the host again and this time our President took the role of Contest Chair for both the Contests. As it falls on the Ramadan month, he quickly start the contest session at 7pm and then declare the meeting adjourned for Buka Puasa. This is just like the translation of Marine Open Cover Policy. In Malay it is cal Polisi Buka Tutup Marin.

There were four Contestants for the Evaluation and three for the Humour. I can't remember the names of the Contestants and the test speaker - perhaps due to my age or the puasa but I must speak up for the sake of freedom of the press - Anna Hue ought to be the Champion for the Evaluation Contest. Just could not understand how the judges gave it to another who in my personal opinion is not even near enough. All the other Evaluators speak from the Rostrum and they kept their eye contact on the speaker - as I have many timesbut we are not talking to the speaker but to the audience at large.

Not to sound like a sore loser I guess, Judges need to be effectively trained if they are trained at all.

As for Humour Session, I believe Mohamad did better than the last time when he won at the club level but the other two contestants were better than him. The other contestants were smooth in their delivery, have enough body gesture or 'slapsticks' and they are good with their words. They deserve to win.

If I may just make by comments here, I find Toastmasters are over dramatic in their presentation. Almost every word they express must have a gesture and this to me is distractive. Perhaps I like to open this discussion with the readers....if any lah.

Let me put this in better perspective, should a speaker use gesture for every word they use and make a speech so dramatic like a clown? I think a speaker should speak and from the words he or she selected the audience is able to picture it without graphic display of our body. Send in your comments and we will debate over it.

P/s. Sshhhh don't tell anyone, whilst Mohamad lost the contest he is happy with himself. He thinks he has done better. If you do not agree tell him and if you agree tell him too.

3 comments:

Sherine Lim said...

Dear Mohamad,

I totally agreed with you on the contest result where Anna deserves for the Champion, her performance is really outstanding compared to the rest. Don't really understand what are the criterias the judges based on.

However, for your performance, yes ! You have improved a lot, sincerely, much much better than your earlier speech presentation, I felt proud of you when seeing you transformed. You did it, Mohamad ! Hurray & congratulation for you !!!

As for the Humour Speech, do we really need to have gesture for every word. My answer is NO !!! My very personal view, a good humourous speech doesn't required a lot of gestures, ( gesture or body language is a must ) but not too much. The highest degree of a humourous speech is, the speaker managed to earn laughter even without any actions.

That's all for my sharing. Allow me to end my writing by congratulate both the representatives - Anna and Mohamad. I believe we all know the quality of our own members and the audiences' eyes are always clear ! We know who are the real winners. Again, well done, Mohamad and Anna !!!!

leong said...

Dear members,

I believe i have commented on this matter long enough to write a book about it. The whole point to the contest at club and area level is simple :- "if you want to win, just lower your standard but if you want your dignity intact just be your best." So, therefore the choice is entirely ours. As the President of the club this term, I will continue to lead this club in the best interest of the members and i can assure all of you that i have visited enough clubs to safely say that we have enough depth to go it all alone. We will do it our way as we have always done so - " The Better Fellowship Way ". Lets continue marching together and hopefully, one lucky year we will bump into a group of judges who know for once what they are doing and what is required of them. To DTM PP En.Mohamad Abdullah
and PP Anna Hue, WELL DONE, the members are proud of you.

Mohamad Abdullah, DTM said...

Thank you guys for giving the morale booster to our club rep.