Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Invocation

What is really the meaning of Invocation? The dictionary merely say it is an 'appeal to the higher power for assistance'. This is done usually at the opening of a religious service. However, in Toastmaster we use the Invocation as a session to inspire and motivate our members whilst at the same time give a small role to our newer members to go out and deliver.

I notice lately that most Invocation Presenter (IP) did not prepare their message and go up to depress the members rather than to inspire them. To assist our member to prepare for future IP role I would suggest that the VPE ask them to visit the blog and download some of the poems that I have prepared to be used as a invocation.

For a new member who is still learning the rope, I would suggest that they just read the message with little introduction and a brief closing. Dont take too much time as you are given not more than 2 minues.

If the IP can blend it with the Theme of the meeting, I believe it would further enhance the quality of the meeting.

People, please do not deviate from our main objective of having the Invocation. Let us stick to this. Just read a motivational poem and don't try to tell us somelthing which I am sorry to say you cannot do effectively in two minutes.

1 comment:

leong said...

Dear MII-TMC members,

Re : Invocation session /
Role of the Invocator.

I have to concur with our founder,
DTM En.Mohamad Abdullah, that the Invocator has lost his/her sense of direction over years of complacency in the club with regards to this role. It's time to get things right again. As the incoming VPE, I will "crack" the whip starting with the first meeting of the term on the 10th July 2007. ( F.I.Y. = "crack the whip" is strictly not to be confused with "bondage" ).